Today was a pretty productive day. I got these three done, and another three on the way. They’re small, and I see them as studies for a painting I want to make:
They’re watercolor on paper with collage, including scotch tape wings. It frustrates me a bit that even in a piece this small, the details are really lost in a scan. You can’t see what’s shiny and what’s matte, or really even where the paint piles up on the paper vs where it’s simply black. Oh well. I made a detail of the second one, so maybe you can at least get a sense of the scotch tape wings:
The wings were a real last-minute decision, but I like them a lot. I like the way that the tape isn’t totally opaque and it obscures the image of what it’s taped to. I’ve experimented with a bunch of different materials trying to get this effect, and it’s so funny that the solution wound up to be something as simple and straightforward as tape.