To make a very long story really short…
The good news is that I got a really awesome gig to make a huge “mural” (basically, a digital printout of a drawing made for the site, which measures 5′ x 130′ and wraps around a scaffolding).
The bad news is that between the craft fair and school, I had about two weeks to come up with the image.
Yikes! That’s a lot of drawing for two weeks! I worked straight through the holidays and I’m still catching up on rest and my life and so forth. But I got it done. I did a scaled down model of the site (seven panels at 10″ x 40″) that has been scanned and will be printed on vinyl the final size.
The site is the perimeter of the construction of a children’s playground in lower Manhattan. It will start to be installed next week (hopefully – the weather has a lot to do with these things, I have learned) and I’ll post the location and pictures of it and such when I have them. The work is a little different for me because it doesn’t have text – it’s basically what my drawings look like before I’ve 100% finished them. I get to keep the final drawing and do whatever I want to with it, which in this case means to work on it further and add text, which I will be doing really soon. Also, I will be making the text that should accompany the piece available for download so that if anyone wants to print it out and bring it along with them when they go to look at it, that’s an option.
Making the work without text was a compromise, but I feel ok with it. I like that I can say whatever I want on the downloaded text rather than having to submit something to be reviewed by a committee. My writing isn’t ever really “controversial” but it is personal – having a group of people I don’t know go through it and say that some things can stay and some should go would be weird. And given that the piece is about fixing up a garden and the compromises you have to make back and forth when doing that, it seemed really fitting to compromise on this.
Anyway. Here’s a couple of the panels. More pics soon!
(I have no idea why, but when I post these pictures online the color gets all screwed up. Sorry about that – they’re your usual Amy colors. I have no idea why one of the hills looks magenta.)